I made this one up while stranded indoors during Hurricane Irene. It used up a few key items from my CSA that I didn’t want to see go to waste before I left town for a week on business: scallions, cabbage and fennel. Luckily, it came out great!
- 1 small head of cabbage, shredded
- 2 small bulbs of fennel (or 1 large), chopped & stems/leaves discarded
- 1 organic apple, cored and chopped (I used green)
- 1/2 an onion (or 1 small onion) chopped fine
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2-3 stalks large scallions, snipped with kitchen shears (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1 tablespoon of Dijon
- 1/2 teaspoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
To prep the dressing, whisk all wet ingredients & seasoning together and set aside.
Assemble the slaw:
1) Shred cabbage with a large knife.
2) Chop fennel bulbs, tossing stems and leaves, and the apple. Add to cabbage.
3) Slice scallion stalks and finely chop onion; add both to cabbage mixture.
4) Mince garlic and add to cabbage, blending with your hands for best blending.
5) If necessary, snip slaw ingredients in the bowl with your shears if some pieces are looking to big. Stir well with a wooden spoon before adding the dressing.
6) Mix dressing into dry ingredients, stirring well. Taste taste and add salt, pepper and/or granulated sugar as needed. Cover and refrigerate at 1-4 hours or overnight.
To make CREAMIER, add 1-2 tablespoons of sour cream to the dressing.
Here are a couple other yummy-looking cabbage recipes I’d love to try soon: