If there’s one thing I have total respect for, it’s moms who own their own business. Working as a mama brings its own challenges, but running your own shop? That has to be unbelievably hard. We already have one self-employed parent in our family, and I see first hand the pressure that goes into lining up the next client or job, hustling 24/7 to stay trained and educated on the latest in your field, networking with others, and somehow carving out time for self care. This Mother’s Day, why not support a local, woman-owned business while purchasing for gifts for your loved ones? Here’s a list of some of my New England area favorites. Happy shopping!
Artisan Jewelry by Amy Vander Els of Amesbury, MA @ amyvanderels.com
Honey infused with spices & herbs by Ariel’s Honey of Vermont @ arielshoney.com
Minimalist sterling silver jewelry by Boston’s Ashley Procopio on Etsy.
Creative gourmet spreads by “Wozz! Kitchen Creations” of Bethlehem, New Hampshire, @ wozzkitchencreations.com.
Wrapped, knitted & woven wire jewelry from Massachusetts-based artisan Jennifer Yogel, @ localcolorjewelry.com.
Adorable custom tea towels perfect for pairing with any food- or beverage-based gift, by Medfield (MA) based Lucy Two Shoes @ etsy.com/shop/lucytwoshoes.
Fresh flowers, tea blends, spices and hand-blended herbs by Amy at Soluna Garden Farm of Winchester (MA), solunagardenfarm.com. They also offer CSA shares, which I got my mom one year. It can be a really amazing gift for someone trying to kick-start a wellness journey, or anyone coming out of illness or treatment for a major health setback whose body is in need of extra nourishment.
Are you convenient to Boston? The Public Market has your back for last-minute, thoughtful gift ideas. Starting tomorrow through Sunday (May 11-14), they have a complimentary gift-wrapping station and plenty of specials for moms, including:
- Make breakfast in bed with Chestnut Farms, offering bacon & eggs for $15
- Finesse Pastries is baking delicious strawberry cakes called Poemes
- Mother’s Day gift baskets are available at Red Apple Farm
- Get a free $10 gift card for every $50 Red’s Best gift card purchased
- Buy one package bacon or sausage @ Stillman Quality Meats, get half priced eggs
- Find the perfect bouquet or flower arrangement at Stow Greenhouses
- Try Sweet Lydia’s gift boxes and Mini S’mores Bouquets
On Mother’s Day itself, The Massachusetts Wine Shop is offering a free wine tasting for mom, and all moms who stop by the Soluna Garden Farm’s newly-expanded stall will get a free flower!
The market’s KITCHEN is also offering several classes this weekend that would be perfect quality-time gifts for you and mom.
- Truffle Making with Taza on May 13 @ Noon and May 14 @ 2 p.m.
- Flower Arranging and Market Brunch with Stow Greenhouses on Sunday, May 14 from 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
Have a wonderful weekend no matter what you do. XOXO